[development] DrupalCon Barcelona: call for presentations

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Aug 6 07:32:07 UTC 2007

On Monday 06 August 2007, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Some more ideas:
>
>   - Beyond FAPI and the Schema API: next steps (*)

I can see this potentially overlapping the PHP 5 stuff, since that opens up a
whole new world of possibilities.

>   - Drupal and PHP5: how to get most out of it (*)

chx and I have a proposal out for this now.  We just need to decide what we're
going to cover. :-)  Anything people want to hear about in particular?

I need some time to sit down and write out some possibilities, too.

>   - Making Drupal scale: the Drupal.org use-case
>   - Making Drupal scale: war stories + solutions

I'd love to see these.

>   - Drupal and RIAs (idea: can we invite a Flex developer from Adobe
> developer?)

What I'd really love to see here is how to leverage the new Ajax-friendly FAPI
to build JS/jQuery-based RIAs rather than Flash ones.

Related to that, how about Drupal as an application framework rather than CMS?
Is anyone but me silly enough to do that? :-)

>  - How to spice up your D6 modules with actions

I'd love to see  a talk on actions.

>   - PHP 6

Namespaces just went in.  My mouth is watering. :-)  Whether or not Unicode
will be in a usable state for us is yet to be determined.

>   - Drupal 7 plans for the Drupal database abstraction layer

I don't know what the status of the code will be in a month and a half, but if
people are interested I'd be happy to give a talk on my evil ideas here.

>   - $your_crazy_idea (i.e. inline template editing)

All of my ideas are crazy. :-)

>   - Dating a Drupal developer (presented by the Drupal wifes/
> girlfriends that travel along)

Would the actual developers be banned from this one? :-)

> (*) I'd like to see someone take a lead in this for D7 -- gets extra
> bonus points to become a Drupal branch maintainer.
>
> --
> Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/

Here's a thought.  In Sunnyvale, we had one or two double-header talks (one
long talk with a coffee break).  If we have more room than we do talks right
now, could some be double-features?  There's definitely some that I could see
easily filling out to 2 hours (PHP 5, RIAs/Web Apps, FAPI stuff, Actions
(beginner and advanced), etc.).

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012