[development] Upgrade using Coder (was Module backwards compatibility)

Doug Green douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
Mon Aug 13 15:52:18 UTC 2007

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> 2. The coder module provides assistance with upgrading a module.  If
> you can help Doug Green make sure that the module works well, then
> that limits the amount of pain for contrib authors during upgrade.
> http://drupal.org/project/coder

We really have spent a considerable amount of time making coder really
useful for the 5.x -> 6.x upgrade.  I used it this weekend to upgrade
about a dozen modules in just a couple hours.  I discovered a few more
FAPI like changes that bit me, which I then wrote coder rules for.
These new rules will make your upgrade/debugging process easier.

Coder isn't going to catch everything.  But it embodies the collective
wisdom from the upgrade documentation as well as other's experiences on
common gotcha's.  The biggest thing that coder won't catch for you is
all the E_ALL changes.  You'll just need to run your module through it's
paces to find those.

--
Doug Green
douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
904-583-3342

Bringing Ideas to Life with Software Artistry and Invention...