[development] Improving theme('username') with inspiration from Facebook

Rob Barreca rob at electronicinsight.com
Mon Aug 20 21:28:02 UTC 2007

I've been doing a lot of Facebook development and find the options for
fb:name very useful. It's a great way to give a site a more personal
feel and for social networking this is a big plus.

When using a person's real name with fb:name I use possessive a lot.

A really great FBML tag is fb:pronoun which will render he, him,
himself, etc. and I use those a ton as well.

I think this would be really nice for core and would fit best in profile
module. I think *linked, possessive, useyou, objective, firstnameonly*
are some good places to start. But for this to work we'd need a Display
Name field (there is a patch for this somewhere) and an optional Gender
field for pronoun stuff.

Also, for people worried about internationalization...Facebook allows
tons of crazy UTF-8 names so they have a way to deal with all these
situations. What that is, I'm not sure, but we could just emulate what
they do.

-R