[development] coding standard question

Steve Rude steve at achieveinternet.com
Mon Aug 27 19:22:54 UTC 2007

Very interesting question! Here are the results (look at php5 !?)

slantview:~ steverude$ /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/php-4.4.7
test.php
Time for UPPERCASE: 720.796108246 ms

Time for lowercase: 703.890800476 ms

slantview:~ steverude$ /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/php-5.2.2
test.php
Time for UPPERCASE: 617.037057877 ms

Time for lowercase: 613.1939888 ms

Just for testing sake, I also changed it to numeric 1 and ran it with ==
instead of === (who uses === most of the time??)

slantview:~ steverude$ /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/php-4.4.7
test.php
Failed loading xdebug.so:  (null)
Time for UPPERCASE: 733.495235443 ms

Time for lowercase: 712.421655655 ms

slantview:~ steverude$ /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/php-5.2.2
test.php
Failed loading xdebug.so:  (null)
Time for UPPERCASE: 623.962640762 ms

Time for lowercase: 619.996070862 ms