[development] coding standard question

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:01:28 UTC 2007

> 1326ms vs. 1382ms is 60ms, and when normal page load times are
> somewhere around 200ms, it makes a substantial difference.

Even if we disregard the fact that microtime tests have a big stddev,
your test is not very convincing: You are using these constants
several hundred thousand times whereas Drupal only has 2500+ in its
*entire* source code. And of that source code, only a fraction gets
to execution. I'd estimate the number of constants that are actually
executed on a Drupal page view to about 500, and even that is
probably too high. If you extrapolate your results (60ms for 100000),
you'll get 0.3 msecs. Besides, a real world server behaves quite
different from a desktop machine, especially in such edge cases.

Konstantin