[development] Deleting Cached Permissions

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue Aug 28 02:56:34 UTC 2007

Although I'm not sure I share your view, I can certainly respect your
opinion here.  At one point in time.  Ron is bumping up against hard
limits on node_access which currently does not allow for value based
security to be attached to a node add event.   On the issue in
question, several alternatives were debated, but none got any
traction. All have suggested node_access revamp.  Which is a much
bigger issue.

That being said, the static caching of mechanism of user_cache will
affect any module that tries to elevate roles behind the scenes
whether temporary or permanently.  These are potential issues for
other modules such as LDAP groups or others that seek to set role
membership based on a login event without user intervention.  I think
that having control over a cache mechanism is not an unreasonable
request. Or stated in another way, I'm not sure that giving
developers control over a cache mechanism is a security concern.

So yes, I noticed, but this seemed like the most secure of the
options that I've seen IMHO.  Time will tell wether core commit team
agrees.

Dave