[development] coding standard question

Doug Green douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
Tue Aug 28 12:52:50 UTC 2007

Steve Rude wrote:

>> I vote for changing coder.module to mirror the defined coding standards.
>>
> +1 This was the very point of my original email.
>
> Steve Rude
Wow, I don't read the development list for one day, and BOOM!

1.  The "performance" review is clearly identified as "under
development, use with discretion"
2.  The TRUE/true warning is only generated by this "performance review"
and not by the "coding standards" review.
3.  This performance optimization was submitted by sun
(http://drupal.org/node/121388), who had some interesting ideas, but
most of which just didn't take hold, the TRUE/true being one of them.
The reason that true is supposedly faster than TRUE is that the latter
is a define and the former a native constant.  Thus when processing
TRUE, supposedly, it had to do one additional array lookup in the php C
code.  However, as many people have pointed out, the time is either
minuscule or non-existent.  chx says that "php is case agnostic with
it's identifiers".  I didn't/don't know that this is true.
4.  I'll probably remove this rule based on this discussion.

I have neglected the coder performance and security reviews.  I've
considered removing them, but I think they are great ideas and I've been
really hoping for more community input  (comments and patches)!  I was
planning on talking about this some at DrupalCon.

If you'd like to submit rules patches, please read the documentation:
http://drupal.org/node/144172.  I think that it's a pretty nice and
flexible system.  If you know (or can learn) regex's, you can write
coder rules.

--
Doug Green
douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
904-583-3342

Bringing Ideas to Life with Software Artistry and Invention...