[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Thu Aug 30 08:06:30 UTC 2007

Jeff Eaton wrote:
> 1) Add a notice to Drupal's license that clarifies that writing such
> modules IS explicitly allowed. This is problematic, however, because
> that would make Drupal non-GPL'd itself, a GPL variant, and we would
> require explicit relicensing permission by the authors of any GPL code
> we wish to include.

Direct GPL variants are only allowed with approval of the FSF.

> 2) Remove modules that integrate with third-party non-GPL code from the
> CVS repository, even if they do not *include* the aforementioned non-GPL
> code.

I'm not sure that's a problem. The GPL only affects redistribution, not
what a person does on his or her own computer. Just ensure the forbidden
integration isn't distributed. (If I'm wrong here, I'd like to know.)

> 3) Continue on as we are, and don't try to police these issues as there
> are NOT likely to be any real complaints. (No one that I know of is
> trying to SELL modules that integrate with non-GPL resources, for example.)

As long as Drupal core is GPL-clean, I think this is acceptable. I don't
think anyone but a lawyer would be qualified to do the policing, anyway.