[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Thomas Barregren thomas at webbredaktoren.se
Fri Aug 31 12:31:13 UTC 2007

Gerhard Killesreiter skrev:

> Piermaria Maraziti schrieb:
>
>> At 23.04 30/08/2007, you wrote:
>>
>> <delurking>
>>

>>> For example, this API argument: by prohibiting use of APIs to bridge
>>> differently-licensed applications (and aren't APIs developed
>>> *precisely* to bridge two different applications?) we're forcing a
>>> "dumbing down" of work (and sundry other potential problems and
>>> risks) by legally requiring the bypassing of established application
>>> methodologies (such as security protocols) to write direct queries to
>>> databases.
>>>
>> If GPL programs do exist in windows (and mac) environments it is fairly
>> obvious that use API of differently-licensed applications... or they
>> write pixels directly in the graphic card and sectors directly in the
>> hard disk?
>>
>> Sorry to be rude but this had to be said this way... if I'm wrong I
>> apologize, but I think I'm not.
>>

> You are completely wrong and you had better stayed in some dark corner.
>
> The "problem" we are facing is due to the nature of how PHP and probably
> other scripting languages work. The situation isn't comparable to a
> compiled programms.
>
> One could argue that one shouldn't place PHP programms under the GPL
> license.

I wonder if you have misunderstood the subject of the discussion. The
issue original brought up by Jeff Eaton was about the fact that it is
not permissible to write modules that bridge software with a license not
compatible with GPL.

But I cannot refrain from asking what problem you see with "the nature
of how PHP and probably other scripting languages work."? If it is the
meaning of "linking" you are troubled by, please read:

  * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html

If it is the fact that program in a scripting language is linked with
its interpreter, please read:

  *
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#InterpreterIncompat.
  *