[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

ttw+drupal at cobbled.net ttw+drupal at cobbled.net
Fri Aug 31 16:43:14 UTC 2007

On 31.08-17:52, Thomas Barregren wrote:
[ ... ]
> >>The issue original brought up by Jeff Eaton was about the fact that
> >>it is not permissible to write modules that bridge software with a
> >>license not compatible with GPL.
[ ... ]
> You surprise me. GPL has been around for *18 years* and this reciprocity
> (a.k.a. "copyleft") is the very heart of the license.
[ ... ]
> Wrong. You are allowed to integrate GPL-application with any non-GPL
> application.

i believe you contradict yourself.  the issue is the extension of GPL
to include interfacing software, as below

[ ... ]
> >>   * to study and modify the program.
> >
> >--unless, of course, you want to bridge it with a non-GPL application,
> >apparently.
>
> Wrong. You are allowed to study and modify the program for any reason,
> including for the purpose of bridging it with non-GPL application.
[ ... ]
> >>So, to solve the problem that the licensing of Drupal currently force
> >>us to "dumbing down" or "bypassing of established application
> >>methodologies", I suggest that the Drupal licensing is supplemented
> >>with an exception for module developers linking through hooks.

if you are allowed to study and modify the program for the purpose of
bridging it with non-GPL code then there is no cross pollination of
the licenses.  this has traditionally been done (i.e.  the use of
GPL'd header files in compilation) but often brought under question
by more aggressive GPL proponents.

i think the original author is confused about the exact status of GPL,
especially, in relation to something like hooks where, it would appear
to me, there is no issue.  essentially, i see no reason you could not
interface an application using hooks and keep that application
propiertory.

i am still unclear as to how this may be effected by GPLv3.