[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Aug 31 20:47:01 UTC 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Boris Mann wrote:

> On 8/31/07, Jeff Eaton <jeff at viapositiva.net> wrote:
>
>> *** If you can, at any point, call debug_backtrace() and see BOTH
>> drupal functions AND functions from a non-GPL-compatible piece of
>> software, the terms of the GPL are being violated. ***
>
> Let me amend / extend this -- They are being violated, if and only if,
> you distribute the code.

This is very true. It's also important to keep in mind that the FSF
gets annoyed when people distribute code that "Is GPL Compliant, Wink
Wink Nudge Nudge" but doesn't actually do anything until you put it
in the presence of non-GPL code.

So, while the GPL wouldn't prevent someone from whipping up a
compatibility module themselves or a one-off module like that for a
client, the FSF would consider it a violation of the GPL if that
person distributed the resulting module with a see-no-evil "Well,
it's just some code I wrote, people might install X and Y together,
but how am I to know?" excuse.

--Jeff