[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Aug 31 22:57:46 UTC 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Laura Scott wrote:

> Hypothetical: Could one argue that the GPL bridging module that
> bridges, say, Drupal and ASP.NET does not depend upon the
> proprietary system in order to be there and available for Drupal? I
> mean, if I can, for example, see the module active and available in
> the Drupal admin area, even if the ASP site is not connected, would
> not that module be considered as not requiring a proprietary system
> to run?

Well, since ASP.NET isn't running as PHP code, it's almost certain
that it would involve some sort of clean XMLRPC gateway or RESTful
interface. Or do you mean, Drupal running on ASP.NET? The latter
would, I believe, fall under the OS/system libraries clauses that
Thomas Barregren has linked to a number of times. Carefully exploring
that clarified a couple of the "Wait, but, does that mean..." kinds
of questions I was posing to the FSF folks.

--Jeff