[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Dec 3 09:18:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:49:01 -0600
Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> As for in-SQL operations on the date value, like MONTH() or YEAR()
> in MySQL? If someone has an idea for those that doesn't involve
> regexing every query I would dearly love to hear it. :-)

EXTRACT both in mysql and pg manual.
There is not such a beast in MS SQL[*]. Something to get around it in
MS SQL could be DATEPART (there is a DATE_PART in mysql and pg if I
remember right).

Anyway you can't handle all the functions avoiding search&replace.
a) we can chose some popular functions to have a good optimisation
b) if queries will be built from objects they should be more regular
so search&replace could be done without regexp

Anyway I really would involve in such decisions people that already
did the MS/Oracle/DB2 ports.

If we were doing a "general" abstraction layer we could just borrow
a more mature one.

Unfortunately PHP is not compiled (sort of).

[*] as it looks clear... DB abstraction should span more than 2 DB

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it