[development] important reminder: do not use API functions inupdate code

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Tue Dec 4 16:19:14 UTC 2007

On 12/4/2007 10:09:00 AM, Larry Garfield (larry at garfieldtech.com) wrote:
> Given our relatively short development cycle, it wouldn't
> surprise me if there are a lot of people trying to do 2-version jumps.  4.
> 7 is still a supported version and will remain so until D6 is released.
> Actively blocking people from jumping from a supported version (or just
> barely not supported) to a supported version (or just barely supported)
> seems, well, rude. :-)  Dropping 4.6 and earlier makes sense.
>
> I'm all for recommending that people go through D5 first, but there's no
> need to make a 4.7->6 upgrade effectively impossible.  (Or a 5->7 upgrade
> later, or 6->8, etc.)

I'm one of those hoping I can take a site from 4.7 straight to 6 without
having to go through 5 first. But my feeling is, if it works, great, but
don't hold back progress or anything just to make it possible.  If keeping
the 2 version jump option is causing problems then I'll deal with having to
do one version at a time.

Michelle