[development] D7 small survey: listing of node types at /node/add

Augustin (Beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Wed Dec 5 12:46:49 UTC 2007

Hello,

I was wondering:
Hasn't anyone ever felt bothered by the complete listing of the
available node types at /node/add (where the user has create
permission)?

I am the only one who sometimes wishes there were a way to NOT list
some node type on this list, even though the user has the proper
permission?

Here is a simple scenario.
We have a Problem node type and a Solution node type, in a way that
each Solution is attached to a corresponding Problem.
The user can create both Problems and Solutions, but the Solution are
best created when following a link from the Problem node, so that we
can customize the link thus:
/node/add/solution?problem_id=123

Now if the user goes to
/node/add
and from there to
/node/add/solution
there is no problem_id defined.

Obviously, there are many different workarounds, e.g. by creating an
intermediary form to select the parent node.
But I run into this problem often and all my workarounds feel like
hacks and I am getting tired of them.

What do you think? Would it be a useful feature for D7 to modify the
second half of the function node_add() so that the listing can be
customized?

Or am I doing something wrong, or I am the only one facing this
problem?

thanks,

Augustin.