[development] Files directory on installation usability fix not quite usable. ; )

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sat Dec 8 16:48:25 UTC 2007

Here's a usability report from one of our GHOP students:
http://ijailbreak.com/drupal.html (please post feedback to
http://drupal.org/node/197219#comment-652618). He interviews three test
subjects: his mom, his brother, and his Dad.

In it, he points out that all three of his test subjects got totally
blocked at this error and needed him to step in and fix it in order for
them to continue. This is the *second* page of the installation. If we
are losing people before they even get Drupal installed, we are screwed.

I realize the argument against including a files directory by default is
that Mac OS does this insane behaviour of overwriting the contents of
"files" with another directory of the same name, so there's a chance of
completely blowing away someone's files directory. So as far as I can
see, we're left with a couple of options:

- Revert the existing behaviour, which at least allows mere mortals to
get Drupal installed, even if it's a somewhat annoying thing to deal
with later.
- Include the blank files directory anyway, and trust that people are
either reading upgrade instructions, or not running production websites
off of a Mac OSX desktop/laptop.

Thoughts?

-Angie