[development] Files directory on installation usability fix notquite usable. ; )

David Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Sun Dec 9 19:08:26 UTC 2007

The whole path is used because the files directory is not necessarily a
subdirectory of drupal.  There are good reasons, both for security and
convenience of storage, why one would store private files outsite of any
directory served by the web server.  Say my drupal is installed in
/var/www/drupal; my files might be in /var/private_files/...

Many of us have bumped into the various limitations of drupal's file
handling, and many modules have attempted to improve the situation.  I
just want to say that in solving the usability problem discussed on this
thread, let's not lose the ability to have private files (or even
public) stored outside of where Drupal is installed.

-Dave