[development] Blog API module permissions

Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen freso.dk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:40:05 UTC 2007

2007/12/20, Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net>:
>On Dec 19, 2007, at 10:15 PM, Tony Yarusso wrote:
>>I'm not really sure whether this is the right place to send this, so
>>feel free to point me in the right direction if not.
>
>The core issue queue would be best:
>http://drupal.org/node/add/project-issue/drupal

And have a look at http://drupal.org/node/54055 to see if that's
related to your problem.

>>I discovered that the Blog API module (core - optional) lacks an
>>implementation of hook_perm, making it impossible to use for any user
>>other than UID 1.
>>/**
>> * Implementation of hook_perm().
>> */
>>function blogapi_perm() {
>>  return array('edit own blog');
>>}
>
>Hrm.  Well, oddly, blogapi.module *does* refer to this permission,
>which is defined in blog.module.  Seems there's some unholy
>dependencies between the two.  I've never looked at either module
>until just now to grep for this, so I'll leave it to someone more
>familiar with how these 2 are supposed to interact to either justify
>the status quo or propose the right solution.  Either way, that
>should happen in the issue queue, not here. ;)

The status quo is definitely not justifiable, but (probably) too much
work to be worth messing with at this stage of D6. Come D7 and we'll
see what happens. ;) (I do have plans to look deep(er) into BlogAPI
for D7.) See below.

>So, please, create an issue for this, and send us a link with the
>node id, and then folks can reply there as appropriate.

There's an old (dare I say ancient (4.7b6)?) issue here:
http://drupal.org/node/54055 - including a patch by yours truly. It's
not exactly what Tony described, but it certainly does sound related.
I came to an agreement (initially with meself) that the patch is only
a shallow fix for the issues with this module, but also that a
complete refactoring would probably end up going beyond the code
freeze... so that part's put off for D7.

--
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>