[development] Garland / Minnelli upgrades vs. browser caches

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Dec 21 13:12:17 UTC 2007

Hey,

I'd like to invite all interested in browser cache invalidation to
participate in this issue:
http://drupal.org/node/199946

The problem at hand is that we had Garland/Minnelli in Drupal 5 with a
set of CSS and JS files, which come from the browser cache when you
first hit update.php in Drupal 6, so the browser does not get the
updated functionality/layout. We could add temporary measures (eg.
?core=6.x to the URL of all CSS and JS files to get them fresh in the
update), but then the runtime Drupal will still suffer, because you
start off with a Garland theme anyway, and the CSS/JS files with the
usual URLs are not refreshed (you are asked before upgrade to switch
to a core theme). Patch reviews and good ideas are welcome in the
issue.

Gabor