[development] mysql merge tables and partitioning

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Thu Feb 1 03:50:06 UTC 2007

nice article at
http://sebastian-bergmann.de/archives/655-Partitioning-with-Dates-in-MySQL-5.1.html.
it describes mysql's new partitioning feature which seems like a good idea
for our accesslog table. seems like drupal doesn't even have to know about
the partitions, apart from system.install.

if you haven't looked into it, access logging is a bad performance
bottleneck in drupal. if you want a fast site, i recommend disabling
statistics.module entirely.

if your DBMS isn't mysql 5.1+ this would not apply to your site. thats
obvious, but i'm quite certain someone will complain that this is mysql only
and 5.1_ only and all that. yeah, we know. move on.