[development] CCK in Drupal 6

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Feb 2 03:46:07 UTC 2007

On 2/1/07, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> > That's why I was asking. :) I think CCK makes a lot of sense for
> > profile fields in the long run. Will CCK be in D6 core though?
>
> No. There is not enough time. Examples: the installer took years to finish
> and form API was eight months of damned hard work. The new menu system will
> be about four-five months  -- do not forget that I had a skeleton in
> Brussels (and it was more than proof-of-concept shortly after) and I started
> on the real thing well before the freeze and still I will be happy if
> everything will be together before the end of March.
>
> Based on the change data API would require, if you starting coding
> Adrian's data API _right now_ with a speed that would put the split-finger
> operators of GiTS to shame then you might make Drupal 7. Otherwise even
> Drupal 7 is out of question.
>
> Regards,
>
> NK

What Karoly is saying is something I observed: every long thread recently
has alluded
to the "CCK in core" wish that many of us would like to see. An example is
the user
profile thread by Rowan, and the replies in it just today, and many others
before it.

Karoly is quoting past precedence on how long it takes things to mature and
make it
into core, and is of the opinion that cck in core will not be ready for D6.

Anyone willing to take up the challenge and prove him wrong?
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com