[development] CVS branch work best practices?

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Feb 2 15:24:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, [iso-8859-1] Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently started using the "new" CVS ways on Drupal.org but ran into some
> difficulties. I am not sure if I simply don't understand it, or if I expect
> too much from the 'tools'.

Ber, this was always the same at drupal.org, I don't know what you mean by
doing it the 'new' way causes difficulties. This is how CVS is intended
to work. It was always that if you branched for Drupal 4.6 or 4.7, you
needed to apply patches both to DRUPAL-4-6, DRUPAL-4-7 and HEAD
respectively, if you wanted these branches to have your changes. Since
these are three distinct branches, they have three distinct development
paths. You can follow DRUPAL core HEAD in your contrib HEAD for eample
(ie. apply the new menu system changes to your module now, if you have
that much time), so these branches might need different patches for a
change to be made to menu items for example.

Gabor