[development] Profile module for D6

Rowan Kerr rowan at stasis.org
Fri Feb 2 15:16:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:43:57 +0100, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
>> New features:
>> - multiple-select lists
>>   (took the easy way out and stored as serialized data
>>   could be improved to store the data in normalized tables)
>
> I really hate serialized data, so an improvent would be welcome, if
> possible.

Sadly, date types are already serialized, but I switched that to be
a separate profile_values_date table instead. Multi-select values
could be stored in another table as well.

Having the _profile_field_serialize helper function is actually
quite useful for "fixing" storage of complex data types, as it
can wrap around loading and saving data to different tables.

> Maybe it would make sense to let user profiles be cck nodes instead.
> That would avoid a lot of code duplication.

Honestly, I haven't really ever looked at CCK, but maybe some of
its techniques (at least the data types and validation) could be
applied to the profiles so that at least the behaviour is similar
if CCK ever gets into core and profiles become nodes ;).

-Rowan