[development] CVS branch work best practices?

_craig drupal-list at 2craig.com
Fri Feb 2 23:11:53 UTC 2007

Since most module development is fairly linear, I'm a little surprised I
haven't seen anyone (re)mention creating version-specific tags directly in
MAIN, and branch from there only if necessary (recently discussed here
http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2007-01/msg00511.html).

|- tag DRUPAL-5--1-0

|  <- adding new features, bugfixes, whatever

|- tag DRUPAL-5--2-0

|  <- update to drupal 6.x

|- tag DRUPAL-6--1-0

HEAD.

No big deal if a bug/security fix is needed for DRUPAL-5.  Just create a
branch off of DRUPAL-5--2-0 and apply it to that branch.  Yes, I realize the
downside: a select few who obtain modules via CVS may get annoyed.  But the
upside: this is easier on the module developers (at least those who know
what they are doing with CVS) and has no impact on normal users downloading
gzips from d.o. (thanks to derek's recent work on the project module).  This
method also has the added bonus of allowing CVS users to assume HEAD is the
latest and greatest.

(Fixed a bug in DRUPAL-5--2-0 AFTER drupal 6.x work has begun)

|- tag DRUPAL-5--1-0

|  <- adding new features, bugfixes, whatever

|- tag DRUPAL-5--2-0  -- DRUPAL-5--2 BRANCH
|                                 |  <- fix bug
|  <- update to drupal 6.x        | - tag DRUPAL-5--2-1

|- tag DRUPAL-6--1-0

HEAD.