[development] Tracking modules via CVS, WAS: Re: CVS branch work best practices?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 4 16:05:42 UTC 2007

Quoting Adrian Simmons <adrinux at perlucida.com>:

> I've read through all the new release system documentation during
> updating my theme and I'm still confused, but that's probably because
> there is no way to pull the latest stable release of a module or
> theme from CVS right? It now depends entirely on how the maintainer
> is working?

It has always depended on the maintainer.  Contributions are controlled
by the maintainer and the maintainer has control of his CVS tags.  The
powers of Drupal have set forth some guidelines but as long as the
contribution is maintained those powers are not going to get their
shorts twisted about how the maintainer HEAD, branch and tags are being
created; they have better things to take care of, like what is to be
included in the next release.  Each individual module/theme is in its
own right control of its HEAD.  If the maintainer chooses not to use it
so be it.  Open an issue with the module and gripe their where the
individual maintainer who isn't doing it like every one else is who
needs to here it.  That maintainer might not even be reading this list
so he won't even know.  And, the contributed modules don't even have to
use contributions/ CVS at all.

The point is contributions are separate entities that have a common
interest of Drupal.  Together we form a community of cliques.  Those
cliques often intertwine with one another and sometimes like CCK
current intertwines with Drupal core.

> I'm beginning to see why so many other projects have 'stable' and
> 'latest' tags...

Not relative to the conversation.  Just a different maintainer
controlled method.

Earnie