[development] 5.x: menu module is semi-required?!

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Feb 8 20:38:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

We are running Drupal.hu (on Drupal 5.1) with menu module turned off. We
don't need those features. By looking at the code though, system.install
has the menu table creation code, so menu module has no schema control
of its own. Menu module is certainly not required, since sites run fine
without it (we have custom primary navigation written in few lines of
PHP code, which is a lot more performant then menu.module).

My question is that leaving menu.module install code in system.install
was just on oversight, or is menu module required after all for some
more exotic reasons (not only navigation menu editing)? If the latter is
the case, the next Drupal 5.x might need a fix to make menu.module
required. But I doubt.

Ps. I know the menu is being reworked for Drupal 6.x, so this is not
applicable to HEAD.

Gabor