[development] Bugfix releases for contrib

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Feb 13 21:26:49 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Michael Favia <michael at favias.org> wrote:

> possible fourth option: modules that phone home (d.o) for update status?
> Has this been visited and shot down for good reason? Please forgive the
> blatant ignorance.

That's been discussed before a bit (and even partially implemented
after work by kkaeffer, killes, and merlinofchaos).

But it doesn't really help determine how often to release a new
version of a module, it just reduces the need for checking.  I talked
about checking for new modules, but that wasn't the crux of what I was
trying to get at.  Even if you remove "checking for new modules" from
my workflow there's still the "downloading/installing new contrib"
overhead that I (as a module-user) would want to pack into a small
window of doing lots of updates rather than spread out over a whole
month - regardless of how I'm informed of the new modules available.

Regards,
Greg