[development] sandboxing releases

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon Feb 19 16:39:14 UTC 2007

Hello,

After the so-manie-eth sandbox thread, I'd like to start yet another one :)

I am sure I am not the only person creating a lot of code. And a lot of
modules. With me writing approx a module a week, I am left with about 50
projects to maintain, accumulating each year. Off course I don't do that.
No-one does that.

Yet, the code, sitting in my private svn, is kindof lost. Some of it may
actually be very useful for someone. Because its precesely what she needs, or
because it is the basis to work from for another project.

And yes, code that is written in less then a week, is often crappy code.
<----> there is a very good reason for not releasing it
<----> it's a hyper ugly piece of crap.'
As quoted from IRC, said by a famous Drupaleer, after he was asked by someone
if he could share some code.

I would like to plead -again- to open up the sandboxen for such modules,
projects and ideas. I feel it a pity to deprive the world from my (and
others) silly code :) , only because I don't want to (spend the time)
maintaining it. And because i know that many people's 'silly code' is
probably of better quality then many others peoples 'maintained and released
code'. Quality is not the thing that makes code release, its the time the
developer has for it, or wants to give it. In the sandboxen at least it makes
a chance of being picked up, as "raw material".

Bèr
--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl