[development] Summer of Code: Call for mentors/help

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Thu Feb 22 14:11:22 UTC 2007

It's that time of year again!

Google's Summer of Code program is happening again this year, and a
few of us are actively working on getting our preliminary stuff
together to make this a huge success.

Like last year, our goal is to have 2 mentors available per student.
This has the following advantages:
- People can take vacations without leaving the student "stranded"
for a week.
- If you don't know the answer to something, chances are your counter-
part will.
- It eases the time burden on both mentors because it's split between
two people.
- Students always have someone to turn to for help.
- It shows Google that we're very committed to student success.

However, there are currently only 25 mentors signed up to the SoC
mentors group: http://groups.drupal.org/soc-2007-mentors. That means
we could only handle a maximum of 12 students, which is fewer than
last year. :( And that assumes that everyone in the group is able to
be a mentor for whatever projects end up getting accepted. Ideally,
I'd love to see this number up around 50, with a diverse range of
skills, backgrounds, and experiences so we have all of our bases
covered.

So please, if you have knowledge in a particular area of Drupal (such
as image/file handling), a particular skillset (AJAX was really hot
last year, for example), feel comfortable enough to be a "backup"
mentor, or just plain want to help students succeed, *please* sign up
for the group and help us out! You can request a subscription here:
http://groups.drupal.org/og/subscribe/2741 ... in "Additional
details" please specify what your area of expertise is, what project
proposals (if any) you see yourself being able to mentor, and whether
you think you have time to be a primary or secondary mentor.

Now. What if you don't see yourself able to act in a 'mentor'
capacity, but still want to help? For example, you're a Drupal
developer just kind of getting your feet wet, or you're experienced
with Drupal but waaayyyy too busy to take on mentoring duties. Great
news, you can still help! :)

a) The Drupal Dojo folks are actively working on a "Getting started
with Drupal development" guide, which will help new SoC students (and
all other developers new to the project) become acquainted with
Drupal and its architecture more quickly. You can help with that over
here: http://docs.drupaldojo.org/getting-started-with-drupal-
development - this is something that new developers in particular can
be extremely helpful in, because you guys know best what tripped you
up as you were learning, and can read the resulting text to determine
if it's still confusing.

b) We still need A LOT of help creating decent project proposals:
http://drupal.org/node/110704. Proposals need to be:
- properly defined, including a list of deliverables. See for example
http://drupal.org/node/121112
- realistically scoped, so that they can be completed in 3 months by
someone who might know nothing about Drupal. See http://drupal.org/
node/120260
- do-able by a student. This means no crazy stuff like "Security
audit all of core and contrib" or "rewrite the entire file API."
- interesting and beneficial to students... we don't want them doing
"grunt work" if at all possible... mention career and academic
benefits outside of Drupal that the student will gain for working on
the project.
- have some kind of code as a deliverable. We can't have proposals
that are about just creating documentation or researching into a
certain thing.

Providing you can spec your project idea out within these parameters,
this is a big chance to get someone interested in whatever personal
Drupal itch you have to scratch.

Sorry, that got really long. :P In summary:

- We need help with Summer of Code!
- If you know a lot about something, please sign up to be a mentor:
http://groups.drupal.org/og/subscribe/2741
- If you have great ideas, please write a good project proposal:
http://drupal.org/node/110704.
- If you are a good teacher or a newbie, please help with writing
beginner docs for developers: http://docs.drupaldojo.org/getting-
started-with-drupal-development

Also if possible, be relatively quick about it. ;) I'd like to have
all of our mentor names and most of our project proposals nailed down
by March 1.

Thanks!!
-Angie