[development] SVN vs. CVS? (was re: CVS branch work best practices?)

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Mon Feb 26 18:19:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 00:33 -0800, Derek Wright wrote:
> as far as i know, the *only* viable alternative to CVS that might be
> considered for drupal development is SVN.  sadly, in spite of the
> other ways SVN improved things that CVS sucks at (basically, renaming
> files), SVN still fails to make merging branches easy.

I don't even like the branching in SVN.

> that said, i'm not fanatically opposed to moving Drupal development
> to a different revision control system, but it's going to take a
> *LOT* of work, and (in a year of *many* people trying) i've yet to
> hear an argument that holds any water about ways SVN would
> significantly improve our development practices to offset the very
> high cost of switching.

  The two advantages of svn for me are 1) offline work. 2) changes
across multiple files in one changeset.  I manage 1) using bzr and
having a dual bzr/cvs repository. I can manage 2) with tags, but don't.

I still don't think those features offset the work that goes into
migrating off of cvs. It does the job. We already had this discussion
like a year or so ago and it was pretty fruitless. The only thing I got
out of it was an excuse to learn about revision control and explore the
different revision control tools out there. It was educational if
unproductive.

.darrel.