[development] hook_nodeapi()

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Tue Jan 2 16:24:36 UTC 2007

Fernando,

I too had trouble with this concept when I first started working with
Drupal.  The most simplistic description I can give of the difference is
that hook_insert()/hook_update() and friends are for use in a module
that defines a node type.  hook_nodeapi() is for use in modules that
augment or extend node types defined by other modules.

By example, the page module defines a node of type 'page'.  The event
module augments any node type, including page, to add date information
to the node.

Scott