[development] OT: Future of Transactional Engine with MySQL

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 07:32:54 UTC 2007

On 03 Jan 2007, at 02:48, Khalid B wrote:
> solidDB, via acquisition of the parent company that makes that
> database
> http://solutions.mysql.com/solutions/item.php?id=219
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_1206.html
>
> And Falcon, which is build by Jim Starkey (ex-DEC, Firebird co-
> creator).
> http://www.mysql.org/doc/refman/5.1/en/se-falcon-features.html
> http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Falcon

I've talked to some MySQL employees and it seems that Falcon is going
to be the new InnoDB -- so to speak. ;-)  It's developed internally
at MySQL as a replacement for InnoDB.

In general, it is expected that more and more storage engines will
emerge.  There are even plans (jokes?) to create a mail storage
engine (with header parsing support) and/or an image storage engine
(with EXIF support).  Imagine being able to query images based on the
embedded EXIF data -- sure sounds like fun.

So yes, keep an eye out on solidDB and Falcon if you're into MySQL
storage engines.  :-)