[development] OT: Future of Transactional Engine with MySQL

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 4 15:20:21 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04 Jan 2007, at 03:45, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > So given the usual speed at which the servers I work with upgrade
> > their
> > software, that means I can start thinking about taking advantage of
> > Falcon's
> > feature set somewhere in 2012.  I can't wait!
>
> Unless they backport the engine, of course.  I bet they will if their
> InnoDB license is under fire.  (I don't know whether that is the case.)

They already forked MySQL 5.2 specially for Falcon. So one can get a beta
(or is it alpha?)
of MySQL with Falcon NOW. Of course, it will take some time to stabilize,
...etc.

Interested parties can check their bitkeeper http://mysql.bkbits.com/

As for InnoDB, it all depends on Oracle. If Oracle raises the price or
refuses to renew, then
MySQL 's business module (building non-GPL versions of MySQL + Engines) is
in trouble.

This may not be such an issue since Plan B has already materialized
(Falcon), so they
can tell Oracle to just buzz off if they pull that trick.