[development] About CSS3

Tim Altman operademo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 03:01:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:30:22 -0500, Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote:

> Drupal 5.0 will be the first Drupal that includes some CSS3. Several
> people have brought up concerns or 'bug reports' about this.
>
> Facts:
>
> - CSS3 is a huge standard which is still in draft form, although many
> parts of it haven't been changed in the past couple of years. It
> consists of several modules, which are usually independent from each
> other.

Indeed.  In fact, many of the modules are already Candidate
Recommendations[1], meaning browser vendors are encouraged to implement
them.

> With that in mind, I'd like to set an official policy on CSS3 in Drupal,
> namely that we allow it. By definition, it should not cause any problems
> in older browsers, and it can be used to provide extra UI cues (opacity
> for disabled items) or nice style enhancements (e.g. text-shadow in
> Garland, for Safari).

I'd like some additional guidelines:

1) Any CSS styling used (CSS3 or otherwise) should degrade gracefully, as
you suggested later in this thread
2) Only styles supported by 2/4 of the top rendering engines (Gecko
(Mozilla), WebKit (Safari), Trident (IE), and Presto (Opera)) should be
used
2b) No browser-specific ("-vendor" prefix styling should be used)
3) Only styles in a spec. that is a CR, PR, or REC or has previously
reached any of those states should be used (for instance, CSS 2.1 is
currently in Last Call, but has previously been a CR).  This would include
CSS3 Colors, Selectors, Media Queries, etc.  See
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work for a list of current module
states

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#RecsCR

--