[development] No module-defined node types?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Jan 5 14:14:58 UTC 2007

> Thanks for the detailed and clear explanation, Morbus.  But it sounds
> like this "new" flexibility is a result of hook_nodeapi() and
> hook_form_alter(), not CCK.  Is that right?

Right. And as a subthread pointed out, it's not new at all. However, I
think it's far more important *now*, especially with the movement of
parts of CCK in core.

> For example, I have an old module which defines a new node type where
> every field in the node is new and unique to my module.  It sounds
> like from Morbus' description, I can still do that without being able
> to define my own node types -- I can do it instead by "value adding"
> with hook_form_alter() and hook_nodeapi() my data and  _behaviors_
> onto an existing basic core node of some sort.  That works for me --
> if those basic nodes won't be dog slow when we start talking about
> proximity searching 10 million of them, for instance.

Right. And it'd be theoretically no slower than if you
did the same thing in Drupal 4.7 as opposed to Drupal 5.x.

--
Morbus Iff ( shower your women, i'm coming )