[development] convert all DRUPAL-4-7 *tags* into *branches* at once?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Jan 18 19:12:26 UTC 2007

this is about the infamous "sticky tag is not a branch" error
described here:
http://drupal.org/node/57516

our contrib repository is littered with "DRUPAL-4-7" tags that should
really be branches.  back in the dark ages before the new release
system, it didn't matter that much, and our CVS repository access
control scripts didn't care.  now it matters a great deal, and the
scripts enforce that all new branches and tags fit our naming
convention and do what they should (i.e. "DRUPAL-5" must be a branch,
and "DRUPAL-5--1-0" must be a tag)...

however, there's still a bunch of older tags that should be
converted.  about a month ago, there were 75 DRUPAL-4-7 tags that
should be branches.  a few of them already have support issues
waiting.  it's a pain in the ass for the CVS admins (me), and it's a
pain in the ass for the end developers (some of you).

in http://drupal.org/node/103429 i propose to just write a script to
do this conversion all at once, so that developers don't have to
stumble into this problem on their own, and i don't have to do any
more manual effort to help correct things on a case-by-case basis.

does anyone object to this proposal?  if so, please follow-up here
and say so:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/103429

otherwise, i might try and get to this sometime early next week,
since the manual support load this problem is generating is driving
me nuts, and slowing me down from doing Real Work(tm).

cheers,
-derek