[development] adoption for 'abandoned' modules?

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Fri Jan 19 16:20:22 UTC 2007

As I read the follow-on suggestions for how to detect abandoned modules
it strikes me that the structured data initially proposed at the top of
this thread makes sense to collect.  One of the suggested fields
described a module specific inactivity window.

I maintain a relatively backwater module, Wishlist.  With the exception
of last December when once person entered ten or so issues, it goes
months without updates or issues as the module is not super
complicated.  I pretty much touch when Drupal core goes through a rev.
Commit and issue inactivity does not imply abandoned in cases like mine.

What is the opposition to asking maintainers a few questions about how
to contact them in the event that their module is perceived as abandoned
and asking for some general 'timeout' values?  This would be information
that only the d.o admins would see, correct?

Collect it as part of the project form so that the maintainers could
return to edit over time as the module matures.   I'm not suggesting
that this be added to project module either - a side module that uses
form_alter on the project module's entry screen and stores the data in a
dedicated table would keep this nicely separated.

Scott