[development] nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node'

Rob Thorne rob at torenware.com
Sat Jan 20 01:16:19 UTC 2007

Nedjo Rogers wrote:

> Questions:
> - does this approach sound useful?
> - who's working on something similar? better?
> - pitfalls?
> - anyone wanting to work on this?
>
> Thanks, Nedjo

I've done these kinds of schemes before (I do it with a variety of
CiviCRM objects).  It has its pluses and minuses.

First,  it's worth thinking about specific use cases,  since in many
cases, I've discovered that a node devoted to the object is *not* what
people really want.  More typically, what they *really* want is to see
the object as an element in a page, or as an item in a list.  For the
first, CCK does the job better than a stand-alone node object.  For the
latter, Views does a very good job.  I've found that almost everything I
originally thought to do via "nodification" I ended up doing via CCK or
Views, as a result.

If you do want to do it, I've found it to be pretty simple to
implement.  If the objects map well to the kind of info people like to
use for nodes (i.e., it's not weird to see it as a page by itself, you
need to control access like a node, etc.), then it's not a bad solution.

Rob