[development] Referential integrity -- finally?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:56:06 UTC 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 01:00, Morbus Iff wrote:
> To some degree, "referential integrity" sounds all awesome and
> "yay, save me from myself" but, really, Drupal's been working just
> fine without it, and I see no huge reason to just "add it on".

And then, the DBA said to the PHP developer: "Hey, my PHP code is
spaghetti code, but it is working just fine.  I see no huge reason to
make it readable".

Or says the security expert to the PHP developer: "Hey, I don't
sanitize my inputs, but it is working just fine.  I see no huge
reason to make it secure".

There are people that care deeply about clean and readable code,
people that care deeply about secure code, and people that care
deeply about the correctness of their data.

When talking with people of the PostgreSQL community, for example, it
is clear that they steer away from Drupal, because we don't take
their industry serious.  By adding support for referential integrity,
we're reaching out to people that know more about databases.  It
wouldn't hurt to have some database experts in our community.