[development] object.module (was nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node')

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 02:15:24 UTC 2007

I've remained a quiet observer so far in this discussion, mainly
because I'm well aware of Dries' opinion on the 'everything is a node'
idea. But now that the discussion has moved away from 'nodify', I
think it's safe to join in. :P

I agree that creating a new 'base object' in Drupal is an excellent
idea, and one that will seriously improve Drupal's ability to share
more functionality between more parts of itself. I would suggest
calling the new base thing an 'entity', rather than an 'object',
though.

The category module, which I wrote, implements the 'terms and
vocabularies as nodes' idea. I wrote the category module because I
wanted to do things with categories that are not available in the
taxonomy module, but that are built in to the node system (and the
book module). What I did was a hack, but it was necessary: however, I
will be very happy if Drupal is improved so that this hack is no
longer necessary (although I have my doubts about a 'base entity'
being able to completely remove the need for the category module).

As the author and as a heavy user of the category module, I have found
that it's very useful to have these features (and more) shared between
the node system and the category system:

- body text (filtered)
- commenting
- versioning
- adding CCK fields
- displaying lists with views
- metadata (e.g. author, created/updated time, published, promoted)
- hierarchical (i.e. parent-child) relationships
- display of TOC and prev/next links (for hierarchical nodes/categories)
- tagging (i.e. ability to tag categories with other categories,
rather than just tagging nodes)
- automatic URL generation with pathauto
- more powerful theming, e.g. per-content-type theming, CCK field theming

So, if we develop a new 'base entity' for Drupal, then I would like to
see everything in the above list be moved from the node system to the
base entity, because everything in the above list is useful to share
between (at the very least) the node system and the category/taxonomy
system.

Honestly, from looking at that list, you may be thinking what I've
thought all along: "if you want to share that many things between
nodes and categories, why not just have categories as nodes?" Which is
of course why I wrote the category module in the first place, and why
I still think that it was a good idea to do so.

Also, regarding the point in my list "hierarchical (i.e. parent-child)
relationships", it would be great if this new 'base entity'
incorporated the idea of a 'relationships API' that various people
have been talking about. Because relationship handling is a feature
that needs to be shared between the node, category, and comment
systems, and most probably between many more.

And regarding the points in my list about CCK and Views: I think that
one of the key aims of this 'base entity' idea should be to allow CCK
and Views to 'move up the chain', so that they can be utilised by ANY
entity within Drupal. If you think that adding custom fields to your
book reviews is cool, and that displaying your mom's cooking recipes
in a custom list is cool, imagine how much cooler it would be if you
could add custom fields to e.g. your site's comments, and if you could
pass your site's users into a custom view listing!

People think that CCK and Views are 'killer modules' now, but they're
nothing compared to what they would be if Drupal allowed them to break
out of being node-centric. These modules are too important to be tied
down to the node system: they need to be 'services' that are available
anywhere and everywhere within the Drupal entity model.

Cheers,
Jaza.