[development] Drupal 5 Themer Pack

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:29:11 UTC 2007

> Yes, there are absolutely aspects of this that are a good push
> toward core. However, there are a couple of important things here:
>
> 1) Drupal 6 should be 6 months away, and this kind of project can
> benefit now, as well as having a future benefit by having the bulk
> of the theming work be done now. By being useful now, people who
> might not otherwise participate in this work might participate and
> contribute.

Correct.  There is always a trade-off to be made between how long
people will have to wait for something, how many people will be able
to benefit from it (both short and long term), how much work it
requires and/or duplicates, and the upgrade problems one wants to
impose on their users.

Improving the theme functionality in Drupal 6 is going to draw a lot
more designers to Drupal than a (temporary) themer pack, IMO.  Plus,
it avoids duplication of work and causes fewer upgrade pains.  Hence,
I plan to be working on separating out theme functions into .tpl.php
files for Drupal 6.  People that are willing to help, including you
and/or Ber, are more than welcome to.

Of course, you can work on whatever you want -- just wanted to reach
out and invite to help for the reasons outlined above.