[development] object.module (was nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node')

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:57:22 UTC 2007

I'm not sure I see having a global object table in the database buys
us anything, either.  Having such a global object table *in
documentation* certainly would be useful for understanding and
clarity.  Although I may yet be persuaded to seeing its benefits,
right now it makes more sense to me to have a small set of base
objects, each persisted in the database by one or more tables devoted
to that object.

Continuing this theme in my idealized view of Drupal data architecture
(and my view is always subject to change ;-), I see a small number (1
to 3?) of well-defined polymorphic APIs for handling these base
objects, using highly optimized code and SQL.  In theory, all access
to them would be through such code, though in practicality that is
impossible.  The compromise is to handle 80% of the cases in such a
manner.  The other 20% are novel cases.