[development] Is DRUPAL-5 branch necessary for module?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Jan 23 19:22:44 UTC 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Derek Wright wrote:

> people who don't really understand or have real experience with
> branch management (98% of the people reading this message, it seems)

apologies for being overly pessimistic with this statement.  after i
sent this, i read it again, and i realize now i'm being a little
harsh.  i didn't mean to insult anyone's intelligence or abilities.

i often forget that many people actually seem to have read the docs,
understand all this stuff just fine, and are getting along splendidly
with sane releases of their contributions.  it's really a minority of
the people who ask for help (often in the least appropriate places)
and do crazy things which i'm then asked to fix, which are the ones
that are most visible in my mind.

a number of folks have thanked me for the release system, reassured
me that the docs are totally clear (at least to them), etc.  my
thanks go out to all of you people, and to the (probably large)
fraction of the drupal development community that read the docs, are
doing great, and never talked to me about it at all for anything. ;)

cheers,
-derek