[development] Referential integrity -- finally?

Earnest Berry III earnest.berry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 19:47:40 UTC 2007

I fine some disagreement in the "DB Expert" comments. I think using more
DB's will attract more "use", not "DB Experts". In most shops, in which
they are large enough to have a sole, full-time DBA, and perhaps even a
DBO...the decision to make a CMS or new application is a "group" effort.
Thus, when we go into a meeting for a new application, it's a joint
effort of everyone being presented with the problems, the DBA presenting
the schema and sproc's (DBA's like abstraction layers too :) ), and then
the developers providing looking at how they are going ot access and
manipulate the data. This presents a 'groud-up'/bare-bones approach. If
Drupal used more DB's, this would allow a lot of the frame-work to be
used by the develper, and the DBA could still create their own
underlying schema in which Drupal could query.

So, that in turn, I think will open up Drupal to more "shops". A true
DB-Expert these days is far beyond Drupal (as a general 'challenge'
anyway), and more concerned  and having "fun" with new native XML
table-types, Geo-Spatial datatypes/tables, clustering, replication, etc.

So in summary, I think the we should look at this as opening up Drupal
to more "shops"/"uses", rather than "DB-Experts".

Also, about the abstraction layer removing the "ugly mess" below. This
is nice...and not so nice sometimes. I think of it like a car. I like
that all I have to do is turn my car on, and it runs fine. I doubt any
F1 team would like a car where all they had to do was turn the car on
and didn't have to worry about camber, PSI, gear-selection, etc. Now,
most schema items are trivial, and the detailed mess is fine as
abstracted...but there are going to be times where people want the mess.
Bring me the mess..sometimes :). I know in my last project I was saved
my MS-SQL offering "locking hints" where I could tell the DB what type
of lock I wanted it to acquire in my query. Locking is usually
abstracted in MySQL (offering only table lock and row locking, and
mostly done automatically for you by the RDMS).