[development] Referential integrity -- finally?

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Tue Jan 23 19:54:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 18:35 +0100, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more it boils down to this question.
> What do we care more about?  Optimizing Drupal for developers, or
> getting more database experts on board?

I think the question of what database folks want or feel should be
garnered from database folk, not assumed. The conversations I have with
the DBA's I work with normally go along the lines of the database should
handle data and data related functions, not the application. Only
business and presentation logic should be in the application. They're
interested in stored procedures, transactions, triggers, etc. Which
Drupal will probably never have since it caters to the least common
denominator.

A schema abstraction layer won't help or hinder DBA's. They're going to
be examining the schema from the DB not Drupal. It will make life easier
for developers and adventurous database folks.

.darrel.