[development] The new menu system -- where we are, what works and what's not

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Wed Jan 24 17:31:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

First of all, read the new menu documentation please. http://drupal.org/node/102338

Please note that everything the menu documentation talks about is intented to work. So if you browse to a page, you should see the page you wanted and the relevant access check must happen. So please give this some thought: "will I be able to upgrade my module to this system"? If you only give this thought when you will really upgrade your module to the new system, well past freeze I will not be able to adjust the API for you. Now is the time to get your voice heard.

Also, here is a list of what's known to be broken in HEAD:

-- no primary/secondary links
-- no tabs
-- no new administration page
-- if you build a chain of paths like: foo/bar , foo/bar/this, foo/bar/this/that where ony foo/bar/this is a visible link then expect inheritance rules to not work. Core has no such thing IMO.
-- if you give permission to role to a link without giving permission to its parents then that link for said permission will be mostly unreachable.

There is no point for submitting patches for any of them as the current visible link solution will go down the drain pretty soon.

Thanks for bearing with me,

Karoly Negyesi