[development] Reproducing 'login does not stick' error - what does an expert want me to do?

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Thu Jan 25 07:15:34 UTC 2007

Good evening all.

I'm running the latest 4.7 code (cvs up as of tonight).  I have finally
managed to reproduce a problem that several of my users have reported,
and one that I see chatter on in the d.o forums.  It is the/a problem
where you log in with a valid username/password, you appear in the list
of users that are on-line, but the login does not 'take' and you are
given an access denied screen when redirected to path user/##.

I have riddled session.inc with watchdog statements and am willing to
install whatever code a core developer may want me to run to gather
evidence.  This is running to the development version of my site, so I
have a lot of leeway on what I can install.  I can authenticate and
create new sessions just fine in FF 2.0.  IE7, running on the same
physical box, will not complete the authentication.

 From my watchdog logs I see that the session is being regenerated as
part of processing the login form.  The new session id is written to the
database, then sess_close() is called, then the page continues loading
and creates a new session for an anonymous user.

 From reading the d.o forums I gather this problem may have continued
into D5 RC 1, but it was not clear if it was fixed in the final version.

If one of you is looking for information on this problem, I think I'm in
a position to provide it.

Scott