[development] Database schema abstraction and *reflection*(was: Referential integrity -- finally?)

FGM fgm at osinet.fr
Fri Jan 26 19:38:26 UTC 2007

Barry,

You're indeed correct in evaluating the change and understanding the
question: this was necessary because of the stringent FB limitations on the
width of indexes, and is an example where a given DBMS cannot be used to
port Drupal "as such" without an actual DB abstraction (instead of a DB API
abstraction as we have currently).

The hook_schema_alter is interesting/perplexing, BTW. I wonder where this
could take us.

More generally, as you say, such ports would need the specific module to be
patched, instead of having a function implementing the change in the DB
indendence layer, which looks like a Bad Thing. But since we're not (yet ?)
considering DML abstraction, I'm not sure we can go much further... except
(maybe) by some very clever hook_db_rewrite_sql implementations. (very ?).

Frederic.