[development] breadcrumbs

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Jan 28 08:26:05 UTC 2007

Op zondag 28 januari 2007 08:18, schreef FGM:
> Not to forget breadcrumbs based on (book) outlining.

Lets just conclude that we should *not* focus on all the possible
breadcrumb-schemes possible, there are too many  :)

hundred » three. the 'path' between 'one' and 'three' can go via 'two', but
also via 'twenty' and 'hundred'. It all depends on your site, the modules and
your specific wishes. We should find a way to a) define these arrays of
objects in such a way that the owner of a site has them all at his/her
disposal. and b) to allow flexibility for modules to define where they appear
in a breadcrumb, and how they appear there.
While a frontpage-entry (a forum item promoted) may want "home » tags »
Cheese". Drupal core should at least allow the flexibility to choose both.

My idea: modules expose breadcrumbs if they like. The last (basis) module
providing breadcrumbs is the menu-module (system.module in fact), as a
fallback when no module exposed items is the menu trail. Every module adds
certain namespaces (yet to be defined, but think about: title, parent_id,
url/path) and a weight.

In the end, Drupal core should render the item with the lowest #weight for a
certain item.

That way, your module can assign lower weights then that-other-module if you
insist on overriding. But it is also simple enough to develop a
breadcrum-management-module.

Bèr
--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl