[development] Drupal 6 release schedule

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:30:21 UTC 2007

As someone who is new to Drupal (maybe I have no business giving my
opinion at all, but I think it should be said in a flameless way) but
not at all to software engineering, and who is just beginning to
architect and author web applications based on Drupal, I would say
that I denote a slight contradiction between some of the thorny issues
being debated on this list (everything is a node vs. don't overload
node hook system; developing an orthogonal API for the various API's,
etc., etc., etc.,), and starting a code freeze in four months. I just
don't see these being resolved in four months.

I sort of perhaps naively assume that it would make no sense making
another major release without dealing with those problems.

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't: if you don't you "fall
behind the web 2 race for splashiness"; if you do, you are painting
yourself into a corner and risking everything drupal stands for:
cleanness, well-thought out stuff, lean and mean...

On the other hand, if "Drupal 6" is drupal 5 debugged and jquery up
front usability gains, etc., then that is ok, would be an advance, no
matter what you call it.

But if the rush to freeze also freezes some stuff that depends on the
thorny points in the middle of the river, so to speak, then that could
cause problems.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar